Progress at North Devon Clay Works - July 1970
Progress at North Devon Clay Works - June 1984
Progress at Torrington - August 2022
The first of the Type 400 diesel mechanical shunters built by John Fowler & Co. in Leeds in 1945, it was delivered new to North Devon Clayworks at Peters Marland and named 'Progress' as it was the works first standard gauge diesel shunter. In 1977 'Progress' was fitted with a Leyland Engine and Hydrostatic drive following damage to the original engine. It continued to work here until the railway line closed at the end of 1982. It was kept in storage along with the two other shunters that were owned by the Clayworks until being moved to the Bodmin and Wenford Railway. All three had been purchased by enthusiasts when there was an early attempt to preserve the Torrington branchline. At Bodmin, 'Progress' was used as a yard shunter at a lineside business before coming back home to Torrington in 2008.
Status: Under Overhaul